MBBS in Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka, officially the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, is an island country in South Asia, located in the Indian Ocean to the southwest of the Bay of Bengal and the southeast of the Arabian Sea. The country’s luxury goods and spices trade attracted traders from many nations, creating Sri Lanka’s diverse population. Sri Lanka’s current constitution stipulates it is a republic and unitary state governed by a semi-presidential system. Sri Lanka is home to many cultures, languages and ethnicities and The majority of the population is from the Sinhalese race. At the same time, a significant minority of Tamils have also played an influential role in the island’s history. Sri Lanka is becoming one of the best destinations to study MBBS abroad.
Let’s say that you can still complete your dream of being a doctor in a place that provides quality education at an affordable price. We are talking about MBBS in Sri Lanka, and yes, you might have many questions like Is MBBS in Sri Lanka good, or what after MBBS in Sri Lanka? To name a few. Hold on to your gear as we talk about that and all other things that will aid you in completing your dream of being a doctor.
Table of Contents
- Country Summary
- Quick facts
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Procedure
- Document Required
- Recognition of Sri Lanka Medical College
- MBBS Syllabus in Sri Lanka
- Comparison between MBBS in Sri Lanka & MBBS in India
- About MBBS in Sri Lanka
- MBBS College in Sri Lanka
- Fee Structure
- Advantages of MBBS in Sri Lanka
- Disadvantages of MBBS in Sri Lanka
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Sri Lanka, officially known as the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, is an island country in South Asia, located in the Indian Ocean to the southwest of the Bay of Bengal and the southeast of the Arabian Sea. It is connected to India via Palk Strait.
|Area||65,610 km2 (25,330 sq mi)|
|Capital City||Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte|
Largest City: Colombo
|Language||Official Language: Sinhala, Tamil|
Recognised Language: English
|Climate||Average Temperature: 28°C– 32°C|
|Time Zone||UTC+5:30 (SLST)|
|Currency||Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)|
|Religion||Buddhism: 70.2%, Hinduism: 12.6%, Islam: 9.7%|
Before reading the complete information about MBBS in Sri Lanka, let’s look at Quick facts about MBBS.
|Course Offered||MBBS (September Intake)|
|Course Duration||Five years + 12 Month Internship|
|Basic Eligibility||Class 12th in Science, with PCB and English subjects with 50%|
|Medium of Teaching||English|
|Universities Recognition||NMC & WHO accredited|
|Cost of Living in Sri Lanka||Rs 77,783/ Month (Sri Lanka Currency)|
|Minimum Course Fee||RS 4,00,000/ Year|
|Entrance Exam||NEET (Qualified only)|
|Talk to our Abroad Counsellor||+91-9999709233 (India)|
Sri Lanka has been one of the top preferred destinations for international students to pursue their Medical Degree Courses. If you, too, want to study MBBS in Sri Lanka, check the eligibility below.
|Age||You are at least 17 years old on or before 31st December of the admission year.|
No Upper Age Limit.
|Qualification||Candidates should have obtained at least ‘S’ Grades in the three subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics).|
|Minimum Qualifying (%)||50%|
|Medium of Teaching||English|
|Duration of Course||Five years + 12 Month Internship|
|Minimum Course Fee (Approx.)||RS 4,00,000/ Year|
|Maximum Course Fee (Approx.)||RS 15,00,000/ Year|
|Cost of Living in Sri Lanka (Approx.)||Rs 77,783/ Month|
|Talk to our Abroad Counsellor||+91-9999709233 (India)|
Entrance Exam (NEET). One must remember that you only have to be eligible for the exam. Here are the valuable resources for NEET Exam that will help you boost preparing the NEET exam.
Before admission to the Medical College of Sri Lanka, please do not forget to carry all these related documents. Passport (Minimum 18 months validity).
- Birth Certificate. 10th Certificate & Mark sheet.
- 12th Certificate & Mark sheet.
- 10 passport-size photographs
- Official Invitation letter from the Medical University of Sri Lanka.
- Authorization of all documents from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.
- Legalization of all documents from the Sri Lanka Embassy.
- Visa fees
- Bank receipt of University 1st year Tuition fee (required for some Universities).
- HIV test documents.
Recognition of Sri Lanka Medical College
Checking the affiliation, recognition and other affiliating parameters are the most critical factors that decide good and the best medical college. Medical colleges in Sri Lanka are affiliated with these authorities.
- UGC (University Grants Commission Sri Lanka)
- ACU (Association of Commonwealth Universities)
- IAU (International Association of Universities)
- Global Universities Partnership on Environment and Sustainability
- National Medical Commission (NMC)
MBBS Syllabus in Sri Lanka
Before going to Sri Lanka for Medical Studies, please compare the MBBS Syllabus of some of the Top-ranked, NMC-approved medical universities in Sri Lanka.
|1 – 2: Two Semesters||Anatomy, Bio-chemistry, Physiology|
|3 – 5: Three Semesters||Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine,|
Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology,
Clinical postings inwards, OPDs to begin
Comparison between MBBS in Sri Lanka & MBBS in India
The MBBS has been one of the evergreen courses that has been in demand for many Years. In this section Comparison between MBBS in Sri Lanka & MBBS in India is given below:
|MBBS in Sri Lanka||MBBS in India|
|The cost of studying medicine in Sri Lanka is relatively low.||The cost of studying medicine in India is relatively high.|
|MBBS course duration in Sri Lanka is six years.||The duration of the MBBS course in India is six years.|
|An entrance test is not mandatory in almost every university in Sri Lanka. But the NEET scorecard is a must with qualifying marks for MBBS in Sri Lanka.||Entrance test required.|
|A donation is not required at the time of admission.||Various colleges in India take donations for admission to medical courses.|
|Degree awarded as MBBS in Medicine.||Degree awarded as MBBS in Medicine.|
About MBBS in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka’s literacy ratio is 95.5%. Medical University offers admission to international students without any Entrance Exam. Sri Lanka always provides priority to international relations. Sri Lanka has a wide range of possibilities, and the institutions provide broad exposure to clinical training. Medical University is approved by the WHO, NMC and other medical organizations.
MBBS College in Sri Lanka
Below is the updated list of 2023-24 of all Medical or MBBS Colleges in Sri Lanka officially made by India’s Medical Council.
|College Name||Course Offered||Official Website|
|University of Kelaniya||MBBS ( 5 Years + 12 months internship)||https://www.kln.ac.lk/|
|University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Nugegoda||MBBS ( 5 Years + 12 months internship)||https://www.sjp.ac.lk/|
Below is the updated 2023-24 of all Medical or MBBS Colleges in Sri Lanka officially made by the Medical Council of India. To know detailed info about Fees Structure, Courses offered, Admission Procedure, Placement Stats, Cut-off, and Facilities available and complete the college review, click the college link or Read more. It will provide a list of the best medical colleges. Here in this section, we provide information about MBBS fees in Sri Lanka. Let’s have a look. This section also provides MBBS in Sri Lanka Fees such as:
|Name Of University||Tuition Fees/ Year|
|University of Kelaniya||4,12,370/-|
|University of Sri Jayewardenepura Nugegoda||4,22,370/-|
NOTE: The mentioned fee is approximate and subject to change.
Advantages of MBBS in Sri Lanka
- No Entrance test is required to study at Medical universities in Sri Lanka (Only NEET Qualification is enough).
- No capitalization fee.
- The Indian students seeking admission are admitted to institutions recognized by the medical council of India for screening tests conducted by NMC.
- Wide range of possibilities and broad exposure to clinical practice due to highly equipped multi-profile hospitals.
- Colleges in Sri Lanka don’t ask for any kind of donation at the time of admission.
- The tuition fee is relatively low and affordable.
- Elite bodies like WHO and NMC acknowledge medical colleges in Sri Lanka.
- The cost of living for students is relatively low too.
- Sri Lanka’s MBBS courses follow the mode of the Sinhala, Tamil language, as it is one of the most spoken languages in the world.
- Hostel accommodations are comfortable and up to the mark for a student’s comfort.
- MBBS colleges in Sri Lanka provide excellent academics as well as sports.
- The MBBS degree students get from Sinhala and Tamil medical colleges are globally renowned and hold great worth.
- Students become eligible to work in government hospitals after completing their MBBS course.
- Government hospitals in Sri Lanka offer practical training to medical students.
Disadvantages of MBBS in Sri Lanka
- One might have to put extra effort into learning the Sinhala Language after the class hour.
- Those wishing to study and work together to cover their expenses may face difficulties because it requires a lot of self-study and concentration.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Which country is best for MBBS abroad?
Ans. Russia, Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan, Germany, and the Philippines are the top 5 destinations to study MBBS abroad.
Q. Is MBBS abroad a good option?
Ans. Yes, MBBS abroad is a good option for Indian students. It provides a chance to learn from some of the best professors globally and exposure to different people. Also, MBBS abroad gives you the flexibility to either in India or any foreign country.
Q. What are the fees for MBBS Abroad?
Ans. it cost you around 20-30 lakh minimum. However, in some countries, the amount can go up to 50 to 60 lakhs.
Q. What is MBBS abroad?
Ans. MBBS abroad is getting a chance to study and complete your MBBS degree from a foreign university in a foreign university in a foreign country.
Q. Which country is best for MBBS in Europe?
Ans. Romania, Poland, Germany, Belarus and Georgia are some of the most popular destinations for MBBS in Europe.
Q. Is MBBS Good in Sri Lanka?
Ans. MBBS colleges in Sri Lanka provide excellent academics and sports. Government hospitals in Sri Lanka offer practical training to medical students. Students who become eligible to work in government hospitals after completing their MBBS course.
Q. How Much does MBBS cost in Sri Lanka?
Ans. Generally, the MBBS fee in Sri Lanka starts at Rs. 2 00,000/year, and for the five-year program, it costs around 10 Lakh rupees.
Q. What is MBBS called in Sri Lanka?
Ans. MBBS is Known as General Medicine. It is the same thing, just the difference in terminology.
Q. How many years in MBBS in Sri Lanka?
Ans. The duration of MBBS in Srilanka is 6 Years.
Q. Is Sri Lanka Good for medical studies?
Ans. MBBS colleges in Sri Lanka offer an affordable education, but they are some of the best Medical Universities in the world. Sri Lanka is renowned for its education field, specifically medicine, becoming one of India’s top preferred destinations for all Medical Aspirants.
Q. Is NEET required for MBBS in Sri Lanka in 2023?
Ans. Yes, NEET is required for MBBS in Sri Lanka in 2023.
Q. Why is MBBS cheap in Sri Lanka?
Ans. The cost of pursuing an MBBS in Sri Lanka is low because the Sri Lanka government provides subsidies for education.
Q. Which country is best for MBBS, Sri Lanka or Russia?
Russia is better for MBBS abroad than Sri Lanka due to education, language, NMC clearing rate, Observership program, and education fee.
Q. Which is the cheapest country for Indian students to study abroad?
Ans. Norway, Russia, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Belgium and Denmark are the cheapest countries for Indian students to study abroad.